Thursday, July 12, 2012

Little Buddha

Out of the mouths of babes.

When we really stop and listen to what our kids are saying we are usually left laughing at their logic or simply stunned at their incredible memories.

Last night I shared on Facebook that Will, when told I was going to be teaching yoga that night, asked if Buddha was going to be there.

Will's first Buddha experience was at a yoga studio--one of the studios I teach in (and the one Greg and I were married in) has a larger than life-sized Buddha statue or two hanging out. Will liked to give him a high five.

My nephew had a Buddha statue in the bathroom we crashed during HGTV filming last year, and Will would poke his belly and say "Buuuudhaaaaaaa!"

And finally, he has this tiny little Buddha key chain hanging out in his room, a gift from a yogi before Will was born. Sometimes when he's belting out "Baa Baa Blacksheep" American Idol style, Buddha is his audience

This morning, while eating oatmeal, Will asked, "Who's Buddha mommy?"

For the umpteenth time, I gave him the two-year-old's version of Buddha.

"Buddha was a great man who sat under a tree, and while he was there he thought and thought and thought, and he had this idea that people could be really happy if they could just relax and quiet their minds."

"What's relax?"

"It's like taking a deep breath--"

"--and taking a nap?" he interrupted.

"Yep, just like that."

Will continued to eat his oatmeal. After a moment, he said, "Buddha didn't eat oatmeal. He didn't have water. He didn't have coffee. He didn't have juice. He had nuffin'."

I just sort of stared at him and he went right on eating his oatmeal.

Not once have we ever talked about Buddha's fasting, or anyone's fasting for that matter.

I'm pretty sure there isn't any fasting on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

His old soul shining through once again.

Just as I was getting rid of my goose bumps, he looked at me and said, "Mommy, Buddha liked to fight!"

And then I knew not to read too much into his vast knowledge. As much as Will would like there to be a Batman-Buddha smackdown duel to the death, well, that wouldn't be in Buddha's repertoire.

Being a parent is a constant yoga practice--no need to set foot in a studio--our teachers are pint-sized, covered in dirt, and addicted to apple juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment