Friday, August 10, 2012

Future Astronaut

I miss being able to just nuzzle his head into my neck and kiss the top of his head, especially since currently the helmet smells like the cologne of the man who put it on him yesterday.

But I didn't cry. He looks pretty darned cute, and he's tolerating it so well it's not really sad at all.

So time to decorate.

Here's the thing.

I wanted superhero theme. I was going to put on there, "Protecting my superpower," and there would be Superman and Spiderman and Batman stickers on it. And Will loves superheroes.

And a Halloween costume would be easy peasy--just add a cape.

But wouldn't you know...three different stores and not a single superhero sticker.

What we did find was a plethora of astronaut stickers.

When we stumbled upon the Mickey astronaut stickers, well, jackpot.

And so, without further ado...here he is.


And since everything works out for a reason...here's a little symbolism.

Many moons ago (summer of 1995 to be exact), Greg called me and asked me to go to Kings Island with him three times, and each time I made up some excuse--only because I was afraid of holding his hand (I know--I mean, really?!).

On his fourth call he changed his tactic: movie.

His mom drove us to the Eastgate Showcase Cinemas, where we saw Apollo 13.

Greg always wanted to be an astronaut.

On our next date--a school dance (because we move fast, eh?), his mom drove us from dinner to the dance, and she opened up the moon roof of her Toyota minivan so that we could look at the stars--she did cater to her little astronaut.

When it was obvious Greg would not be venturing to space anytime soon, we named our first dog, Cooper, after astronaut Gordon Cooper.

Greg's mom passed away in 2001. Sometimes relatives make their presence known from beyond. Greg swears he hears her on the baby monitor from time to time.

Me? I think she hid all of those superhero stickers. I think Reid is her next little astronaut.

This morning, Will, Reid and I dance partied to one of our favorites: Fly me to the moon.

Fly me to the moon,
let me play among the stars.
Let me see what spring is like
on Jupiter and Mars.
In other words, 
please be true.
In other words, 
I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet, sweet astronaut. You can get pretty creative with that Halloween costume, too! Can't wait to see what you do...

    And I love that you two went to Eastgate Cinemas for your (first, then?) date. I worked at County Seat at Eastgate during the summer/Christmas of 1997 (jealous?) and then Kohl's the summer of 1998. Spent some good times at that mall! ;)

    ReplyDelete