Monday, September 3, 2012

Welcome Change

Every September, yogahOMe co-owner Katy Knowles sends out an email about the fall schedule, and every September email she mentions the feel of change that is in the air--more than leaves changing, weather moving to cooler temperatures, and schedules returning to routine--it's also a general shift in the planet; all beings, all cultures, all attitudes.

Do you feel it?

I do. And not just because Katy told me it exists.

We spent this nice long holiday weekend potty training Will. It's a topic that you just don't understand until you are nose-to-nose with the kid and the strong desire to not purchase another box of diapers for giant people.

There really isn't any sweeter victory at this age.

And the victory was ours.

My Bobcats beat Penn State; Will conquered the potty.

(Raising my fist in triumph, throwing in a little running man victory dance, and singing a made up song about v-i-c-t-o-r-y on the p-o-t-t-y.)

Change is good.

And then there's my sweet little Reid, who's head shape is rounding out and looking oh so beautiful. It's only been three weeks and the change is significant. His neck is getting stronger and more flexible and we are well on our way to a helmet-free future.

Because of his "future astronaut" helmet, we get a lot of stares, and this has forced me to do some changing of my own.

Most of us enjoy drifting through the grocery store anonymously, grabbing our goods, dodging other carts, and sneaking in those potato chip impulse buys.

Wearing Reid in the front carrier only attracts attention--the uncomfortable kind when people whisper to one another and stare.

So after fighting off my first instinct to run, hide, and never go back, I decided to educate.

I start with, "He's a cute astronaut, right?"

(And since the passing of Mr. Armstrong, I explain that no, we didn't put him in this to commemorate the icon.)

This then invites questions. Oddly enough, it's always the men that ask the questions. "Is there a reason he's wearing it?"

At first I was sarcastic. "Nope, just fashion." But men didn't get that answer.

So now I explain, in layman's terms, why he's in it. Some people chime in that oh yes, they have a friend who had a kid in a helmet.

But my favorite response was from the dairy stock guy at Kroger. I could tell he was probably a grandpa, because he didn't talk to me.

He talked right to Reid.

"You gonna take me up there with ya one day son?"

Reid cooed and kicked his legs.

"I'll be long gone by the time you get up there. Say hey to that moon for me."

I'm enjoying the shift.

Happy yeah-it's-still-ninety-degrees-but-the-air-smells-different-like-campfires-and-pumpkin-spice-lattes-are-back-almost fall.

Enjoy the change.



No comments:

Post a Comment