Saturday, March 31, 2012

Dear Younger Self

When my mom was in town this past week, and Will refused to nap, she informed me that my napping habits were less than stellar at the age of two and a half as well.

"If only I could go back and tell my two and a half year old self how naps are the most amazing thing when you're older, and you never get to sneak them in, maybe my two and a half year old self would savor them a bit more."

And then I got to thinking, what else would I tell my younger self?

Dear 1-year-old me,
When someone wants to push you in a stroller, let them. Walking is overrated. You'll take billions of steps this lifetime, in beautiful shoes and in amazing countries. Rest those feet, girl. You'll need them.

Dear 3-year-old me,
Just eat the peas, for crying out loud! Give your mother and father a rest. On second thought, don't eat the peas, but don't get frustrated when your own kids won't eat them either. Popcorn was good enough for your dinners, it's good enough for your own kids' dinners, too.

Dear 5-year-old me,
It's okay to cry because you don't want vacation to end. Time with family in the sun is one of the most beautiful things in the world. Savor it, appreciate it, fall in love with it, shed a tear, and then be grateful for the time.

Dear 9-year-old me,
Don't you dare listen to that nutritionist and doctor. Don't you dare let them make you feel like you will spend your life being the apple-shaped fat girl. Pick up the plastic food that she makes you put on your "sensible" plate, and throw it at her head. It will save you a lot of heartache, hours at the gym, and hundreds in therapy. You. Are. Beautiful.

Dear 13-year-old me,
Go ahead and give Mrs. Couzins a big hug. She was the first one to tell you you had a knack for writing. And even though it's not the path you eventually chose, it feels really damn good to have someone believe in you.

Dear 13-year-old me,
Boys. Are. Dumb. Especially at this age.

Dear 13-year-old me,
Girls. Are. Cruel. Especially at this age.

Dear 18-year-old me,
Sigh. You were a mess. Where do I even begin? College is for mistakes. Make them now, not later. Look back on them without regret but with appreciation for getting them all out of the way now. We will worry about reversing tanning bed damage later. (Who goes to tanning beds at 2:30 a.m. because it's the only appointment available during the busy sorority formal season? Oh yeah, 18-year-old dumb me.)

Dear early 20-somethings me,
Yeah, you thought you had it all figured out. It's okay. Let's look at it as confidence. You made great decisions in this age (career moves and husband selection at the top of that list). Be proud of yourself for picking a husband who will grow and change as much as you do (even though right now you think you couldn't possibly grow or change anymore).

Dear late 20-somethings me,
Thirty isn't scary. It's awesome. And your 30-somethings self will remind you of this as you approach 40. Embrace your age--it's just a number. How do you feel on the inside? Remember that instead.

Dear present me,
You rock. You are aware. You know where to grow, you continue to learn. Way to love the journey. Give your one-year-old self a high five. You are walking a beautiful path.

No comments:

Post a Comment