Sunday, April 22, 2012

Cook. Happy. Love.

I love to cook.

It's so much more than following a recipe; it's experimentation; it's creativity; it's love. Pull stuff together and nourish someone's soul? Yes please.

Some day when I become a Mom Taxi, I may find cooking burdensome--in fact, it may not be cooking at all, but heating and reheating and mindless eating on the way.

So until then, I want to enjoy it.

My dad always gave me the crap jobs in the kitchen--seeding the peppers, shucking the corn, and of course--the dishes. But I was allowed in, and I watched him express himself through the food he made. To this day, I love standing at the stove while he cooks; we talk among the aromas. I ask to stir, and then I sneak a taste.

Eager to expose Will to similar experiences (ie; the crap jobs), the other night I handed him a pastry brush and some melted butter, and I asked him if he wanted to paint the dough for our croissants.

The kid loves to paint. He loves paint brushes.

And he wanted nothing to do with it.

But he wants to taste everything.

I've started mixing the dried spices and herbs I use with a little bit of salt on the cutting board. I mash them with the back of a spoon. He licks his finger, presses it into the spices, and takes a taste.

Tonight, inspired by Will's favorite food (cheese) and his toddler taste buds, I allowed myself to get creative and invent a new (to us anyway) recipe. Had to share. It's spicy. Will loves spicy, too.

I just love him.

Southwest Quinoa Stuffed Peppers


4 large red/green/or yellow peppers, tops cut off, rinsed and seeded
1 cup cooked quinoa
2 tbsp. butter
1 cup diced mushrooms
1/2 cup diced red onion
2 cloves minced garlic
2 cans Rotel tomatoes, drained
4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup hot pepper cheese, shredded

While quinoa cooks (according to package directions), melt butter over medium high heat in a saute pan, and saute mushrooms and onions with a bit of salt until they are soft and take up about half the space in your pan. Add your minced garlic, and saute another minute. Add Rotel tomatoes, and reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes, just to heat through.

Heat oven to 325 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine quinoa, mushroom mixture, and cream cheese. Stir until cream cheese is gone and mixture is creamy.

Place your peppers in a baking dish. Add mixture to peppers half way, and sprinkle one tablespoon of hot pepper cheese on top. Add more of your mixture until you are at the top (and maybe a little more). Top with one more tablespoon of cheese.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment