Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Meditating

I rolled out my mat this morning.

I've lived in this house for six years, and I've never found the perfect place to practice. Oddly enough, it came to me today, and so with Reid napping soundly and dogs snoring loudly, I found myself in my pajamas, flowing through a few vinyasas.

As happens for me often, I had no specific intention to set. I just wanted to hear myself breathe, the only sound in the otherwise silent house.

I opened up iTunes and let one of my old teaching mixes play softly in the background (okay, so maybe the house wasn't silent).

And then this song came on, and I dropped to my seat, palms open on my knees, and I knew I had to meditate. It was instantaneous. There was no need for any other pose.

Om narayana shanti om...I was seeking peace from the highest Divine source I could find as Wade Imre Morissette's voice guided me from my laptop.

The peace wasn't for me; the peace was for a few friends who I think are going through some of the most terrifying, difficult life experiences.

There are only so many meals you can make, so many bottles of wine to offer; there are only so many cards to send, so many "I'm sorrys" to speak; there are only so many flowers to brighten a room--and a spirit--and so many hugs to give.

So today I gave my energy. It was yellow and bright, peaceful and joyful, deflecting the blue and darkness of their sadness. It combined somewhere in the middle to make green. I could see it behind my closed eyes, a bright beautiful green, hoping that I could neutralize their grief and fear, if even just for a moment. That moment.

I felt my chest raise, my heart answer what they needed.

Wade sang:
Joy on the inside and peace on the outside.
Loving on the inside and laughing on the outside.
Kissing on the inside and healing on the outside.
Flowing on the inside and thriving on the outside.
Clearing all the inside and accepting the outside.
Shining on the inside and shining on the outside. 


Shanti. May they have a moment of peace today. And you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment