Monday, January 16, 2012

Parenthood: Redefining "world" one mom and dad at a time

Parenthood does a really good job of letting you know that it's not about you anymore.

There are obvious moments, of course...like when you are handed your child for the first time in the delivery room. There are often too many emotions in that moment to pick out just one to feel, but when you look back, you realize that "This is now my world" was one of them.

And then there are less obvious moments. Greg and I both epiphanied this past Christmas as we watched Will tear through his presents--and everyone else's--that this holiday isn't about us anymore. 

And then there are hit you in the face moments. It's a rare occasion in the last two and a half years that I have slept to the hour of eight, much less past it. So on a day off this morning, I shouldn't have been surprised to find myself watching Will turn up my clock radio to full volume, hand me two spoons, and declare it a dance party...at 6 a.m. 

Yet as any parent would tell you, these moments now make your world. They redefine love and patience and priority. Nothing is taken away from those old definitions; much like your heart, they just continue to grow.

I was well aware of my priorities this morning, when I took my spoons, put two feet on the floor, hoisted my ever growing self out of bed, and danced around my bedroom with an incredible dance partner. Even if it was to Rihanna. And before coffee. 

That's my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment